with love to indore

Friday, July 6, 2012

Dainik Bhaskar refuses to publish column on paid news

from new book by Kuldip Nayaar

Much earlier the Rajasthan Patrika had stopped publishing my column. The owner, R.C. Kulish, was a personal friend but could not tolerate my criticism of the BJP position. ‘I am not against Muslims and I have one servant from the community but they have to be kept in their place,’ he told me once. Never did I suspect that he would go so far as to stop the publication of the column. I vainly tried to meet him in Jaipur. Once when in the city, I learnt he was critically ill, so I went to his house and waited to see him but he refused to meet me.

In the case of Dainik Bhaskar, I stopped my columns because it refused to publish my piece on ‘paid news’. Although I did not name anyone the newspaper still refused to publish the column. I wrote a letter of protest to the owner and received no response.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Interesting information. I have been following your blog for some time. I am from Indore myself, and don't like to see what it has become. As a woman, as an activist, as the daughter of a Hindu-Muslim couple, I feel increasingly unsafe in the city. It used to be my favourite place. What I want to see though, is the student community becoming more socially, politically conscious and taking up issues like students in Bhopal, Delhi, Mumbai etc. do.
    Many thanks for this blog. I also keep track of news from Indore but I have not been writing much about it.
    Reva.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Reva,
      thks for the kind words
      I am in indore now a days and let me know when you visit town to catch up
      if you have any ideas you can post on this blog...i have been looking for like minded people to be co authors..

      Delete