We often hear people lamenting on corruption and how people do not try to get their work done without bribing and so this time when I was at Indore I tried to see if a normal citizen can get his work done without paying bribes.
I failed miserably.
I applied for a learning license to our infamous RTO office at Vijay Nagar.
It took almost a month for application to move as I went without an agent. When finally I reached for test things started unfloding one by one.
person collecting forms at window will give you an arbitrary serial and batch number which would have no correlation with when you came or at what position in queue you are. Clearly agents were paying for their clients and they were getting preference.
It was a hot may afternoon and there is no place for people to seat in shade ( there is a tin roof with 8 chairs kept whie daily crowd is at least 500-600).
there is no facility for water ( an old pyaaoo was disfunctional)
now my batch number came and passed but my name was never called , on enquiring it transpired that agents had paid money and got name of their clients who were there or not there advanced. One agent got name of his client shifted to next batch when he could not come in time for his pre assigned batch.
and finally link failed. All this time one could see agents openly going and staying inside the exam hall and it does not require extraordinary intelligence to guess what they were doing there. Person incharge there claimed he was a mere clerk and there was no officer there at campus to lodge a complaint.
when i went inside , it seemed work had been outsourced to some it firm and forms were lying in two heaps , one for which agents had paid and serial numbers were being given promptly and other smaller heap of people like me.
so even after one gets a nubmer on window you need "vajan" to get your name finally registered for test in system.
after 3-4 days I approached smae office through an agent. I got chance in first batch. Well I could answer questions but an agent was inside prompting another candidate for right naswer and an officer who was present initially convenieintly disappeared that time.
taste was made by some company in maharashtra and there was very poor dubbing in Hindi is a different matter indicating that our government does not give work to local firms but outside ones and our officers in their infinite wisdom accept whatever is given to them and do not insist on localisation of content or customisation.
1. no transpareny in how test sequence is decided. person in charge has huge discretionary power.
2. open corruption not scene in any other government deparmtnet. Agents can be seen roaming the palce as if they work there.
3. Computer testing defeats the basic purpose of licensing. By mugging soem sign and instructions one cn clear test. How does this transform into a driving sense is beyond me.
4. Even if one agrees on concept of test, test is ill suited for local culture and it would be difficult to folwo instruction for someone who is less educated.
5. very cunningly no officer is stationed at vijay nagar ,though most of public interacts with department there onyl. But I guess more moany is made in trucks, buses and other four wheelers which is done at Kesarbag so once again issue of motivation.
.... Last heard they have placed an online system of scheduling which sounds like a welcome step but lets see hwo this works.
moreover this once again outlines that we are dept at taking easy route out, what about people who do not have access to net or are not tech savy .they wil have to deal with agents and corrupt offcials. no one is will ing to take bull y horns and ensure that this agent-babu nexus is broken at RTO.